Praetorian Training Academy
Because powers strengths are so subjective and the skill with using them has a profound impact on their effectiveness, most reasonable people have concluded that there is no possible way to ‘rank’ the level of a power, much less of an entire Super.
Despite that, people do it anyway. There are several different and, at times, contradictory rating schemes out there but the most popular was proposed by Skygazer Magazine (A publication for the discerning superhero watcher…) and remains in common use to this day. The ranking scheme below, with modifications, has been used to define particular powers or a particular Super though the debate always continues even when using the same system. Keep in mind, though, that a smart super with a ‘Level 1’ power can do amazing things with enough practice, skill, and control.
- Parlor tricks (Levitate a coin)
- Useful (About equivalent to what a normal person could do, but with powers)
- Low-level (Just barely beyond what a normal person could accomplish without special equipment)
- Typical (Barely possibly with modern technology. At this level, most Supers consider themselves to have ‘made it’ into the minor leagues.)
- Strong (Beyond any reasonable conventional technology… and any tech at this level is, by itself, a superpower! These characters are the ones with their own comic books and get into the news.)
- Powerful (If a strong super can lift a bus, a powerful one can expect to toss it through the wall of a nearby building. Possibly the strongest super in the state, unless you are talking about the big states!)
- National (On a level where people sit up and take notice. No one treats such beings lightly… at least not if they have any sense.)
- World Class (Equivalent to some of the most powerful beings on the planet… and it’s a planet that has a significant number of super powered beings. Not only can they change the course of events for the planet, they do so on a regular basis.)
- Interstellar (Need an asteroid wiped out or a planet reshaped… this level could manage it.)
- Galactic (A purely theoretical ranking…but manipulating entire solar systems wouldn’t be beyond the scope here.)